Thursday, October 26, 2006

Schwenker

I can't believe I've been blogging so long without telling you about one of the favourite hobbies (or philosophies) of the Saarländers: schwenken! Here, you don't have barbecues, but meat is put on swinging grills on a tripod, called Schwenker. The meat (also called Schwenker, not steak!) is now hanging above the fire on the moving grill.
On campus, I saw a very unique version of such a Schwenker, probably the result of a long night with too much beer. =)

(For further information on this Saarland tradition, please read the Wikipedia-entries in English or German. For some pictures of normal Schwenker, check saartanisch.de)

4 comments:

Kala said...

this is unusual to say the least - if I did not read this post and saw this on my visit to Saarbruecken, I'd think it was a weapon of some sort. Its quite amazing how the most common thing to a person in one comuntry is so unusual to another person on venus =)

Denton said...

Very unique ... In the US it is common to see large sums of money spent on very elaborate backyard BBQ grills ... I think I like yours better.

Anonymous said...

@denton: you will like it even more once you actually had a Schwenker, believe me!

Unknown said...

This is cool - I've just stumbled across this blog while looking for a picture of the Schwencker and realised it's an entire blog about Saarland!!!

Glad someone out there also think it's a special place ;) I studied there for a year and loved it.

And the schwencker is good :)