Monday, November 20, 2006

How Reindeer Learn to Fly

Every year, we have a Christmas decoration above St. Johanner Markt.
It is a real attraction, reindeer "flying" above the heads of the people, pulling the sleigh with Santa in it (there is a real person sitting in the bobsleigh later, waving to the masses).
The sleigh is not there yet as you can see (the bike with the man sitting on it will have a casing in form of a sleigh later), but the reindeer are arranged in their new home. I'll show you a picture of the show as soon as it starts (in the beginning of December).
Funny detail: The lifting ramp says "Securely to the top". =)

Thank you so much so my friend Ralf who was there at the right time, took the picture and allowed me to post it.

4 comments:

Nathalie H.D. said...

This is absolutely fascinating! What a catch!

I didn't quite understand whether this is going to be an all-day attraction with the sleigh going back and forth all day or whether there are specific times for it?
Congratulations to Ralf for being in the right place at the right time. Great shot!

Anonymous said...

@nathalie: It's only going at specific times and I have to add how much I hate this thing! For some reason I always happen to go there just in a time for the show and to me it's just a great, great annoyance. Because along with the sleigh, they play a loud narration over all speaker with a Barry White kind of voice (I call it "Santa Clause from hell") telling some crap from American culture ("Weihnachtsmann"?? Hel-lo??) with false pronunciation: the next time I hear some-one say "Renntier" instead of "Rentier" I might have to kill this person...
Don't get me wrong - I love Christmas! Maybe I'm just too old-fashioned or idealistic and so this ever increasing over-commercialization just makes me want to throw up...

Unknown said...

...or maybe you just need something else to mock? =)
*hugginggrumpythomas*

Gerald (SK14) said...

Lovely to catch this "under construction".

If I was there though I expect I'd have a smiliar reaction to thomas.

A lot of these things are OK the first time you see them but soon turn into an annoyance!