Monday, September 04, 2006

West and East

The internationality of Saarbrücken even shows in the choice of our traffic lights.
There are two pedestrian crossings in Bahnhofstrasse that have the West German version of the traffic lights and the East German one.
You didn't know they have two different ones? Yes, it's true, East Germany has the cute little Ampelmännchen that is even a cult object now (Ampelmann Shop), West Germany the more realistic version of a walking and standing man. Which one do you like better?
I enlarged the two versions for walking and standing on top of the image for you.

11 comments:

Lisi said...

this is a very interesting post! of course, the East German one is special!

Ame said...

That's fascinating Moon! I think I like the cute little ones best...tired of the "standard" ones! LOL! (=

Anonymous said...

a great p.o.v! i vote for east 'cos its soo cute!!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting photo! Agree with Kris I go with the east too...very cute!

Kate said...

The Ampelmann has my vote. And, I like the yellow scooter, too!!

BarelyLiegl said...

Thank you all for your comments! =)
I like the Eastern one better as well. It's far cuter than the West German one.
Since I'm originally from East Germany, I like seeing a little part of it everyday. It always makes me smile, and I usually choose this side of the road to walk (silly, I know - but it feels a tiny bit like being back in Leipzig).

Kala said...

that is soooo interesting but if I had to choose, Id choose for no traffic lights =)

Anonymous said...

you all choose the "Pimmelmännchen" (Dickman), look at it its looks like a huuughe erection...

BarelyLiegl said...

@vird
Jealous?

Anonymous said...

My vote goes to East Germany.

I have seen a more interesting light. In Malaysia, some of the pedestrian crossing will start with green man walking animation. When it is almost turn red, the green man animation will show a green man running!

BarelyLiegl said...

Haha, that sounds so funny! Do you have a video?