Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Glück auf!

Uh, I love nighttime pictures.
I was walking up the Bahnhofstrasse (our main shopping street downtown) towards the train station (that's on the right side of the picture... faaar back), and saw this pretty building. In front of it is a flat fountain in which I even found ducks swimming tonight. =)

The building used to be the headquarter of the local mine management, but was recently sold to ECE ProjektManagement, that probably want to turn it into a shopping mall (read more here in German).

You can imagine that hot discussions are going on at the moment... historical building vs. shopping mall!

PS: "Glück auf!" is the typical greeting of the mine workers, I guess I'd translate it with "good luck!". It's written at the bottom of the two figures at the top floor of the building (you can read it when you enlarge the picture).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love nighttime photos too! This is a great shot! Great colors and lightning...perfect!

Nicola said...

Great night shot and interesting information. Wonder what's finally be the decision but it sounds like they're pretty set on the shopping mall.

Brian Dubé said...

Nice post, and photo!

Sarah said...

Beautiful night photo! Not quite sure how to pronounce Gluck auf, but in my head, it sounds similar to a very bad phrase in English!