Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Postcard of Saarbrücken

No, don't worry, this is not a real postcard, I took the picture myself this afternoon.
With the nice sunshine today and the cool reflections on the water I do think that it COULD as well be a postcard. =)

In the front, you can see the historic crane with a golden eagle on top. I would say that it's one of the town's landmarks. It is positioned on the right bank of the Saar, and was used many years ago to unload cargo from ships.



Thank you all for your comments on this post, and the big interest on the crane and especially on the eagle on top of it.
I have to admit that until now I couldn't get any information about the golden eagle.

The Saarkran was originally built on the bank of the river Saar in 1761 and is a tribute to the town's past as a trading centre. The crane was destroyed several times.
It was rebuilt from 1989 until 1991 using the remaining foundation. They rebuilt it after a historic drawing, which already had the golden eagle on top of the crane.

I'll try to find out more, but it doesn't look very promising...
Weird, you'd expect that the eagle would have more significance. (First, I thought it might be connected with the crest of the town or the federal country, but we only have lions...)

7 comments:

Carrie Nichols said...

Nice picture. I'm with chris, why the eagle?

BarelyLiegl said...

Hmm, I actually don't know why there's the eagle on top, but you know what? I'll go there again tomorrow and read the little sign next to it... =)

Louise Starkey said...

This is a good photo. I too am interested in any stories around this.

midnitebara said...

very nice photo indeed.

Bob said...

Very calm river. Isn't it flooded now?

Mark said...

Pretty as a post card, me to I'm curious about the eagle.

Kala said...

that is soooo cool that you did the investigation on the eagle. Very impressive detail ;)
Thanks for that interesting info!